top of page




Eddie Cantler

Edwin Douglass “Eddie” Cantler, who served the University of Memphis as a student-athletic head trainer and athletic administrator for more than 40 years, passed away in his sleep Wednesday night. Cantler was 61 years old.


Cantler, a native of Bowling Green, Kentucky, came to Memphis in the fall of 1970 as a student-trainer, and received his undergraduate degree in 1974 and his Masters degree in 1977.


A member of the National Trainers Association, Cantler was inducted into the Tennessee Athletic Trainer’s Hall of Fame in 1996. He was the state’s Trainer of the Year in 1994 and received the NATA Athletic Trainer Service Award in May of 1998. Cantler was inducted into the All-American Football Foundation Hall of Fame in 2001.


In addition to his work at the University, Cantler was in his 24th year as a Director of Music Minister; 12 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Memphis.


Cantler is survived by his wife of 30 years, Jenina, who taught at the University of Memphis; two sons, Andrew Douglass, age 25 and Michael Patrick, age 24, and two granddaughters, Zadie and Harlee. He also leaves his mother, Gladys Cantler of Johnson City, TN; one sister, Sara (Mark) Hansen of Collierville, TN; two brothers, Fred (Katrina) Cantler of Brevard, NC and Bob (Dianna) Cantler of Johnson City, TN as well as 5 nieces and 8 nephews. He was preceded in death by his father, Edwin Douglass Cantler, Sr.


Ross Langston

C. Ross Langston 1953 - 2014 Gulfport, MS Carl Ross Langston, age 60, of Gulfport, MS, passed away on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 in Gulfport. Ross was a native of Dunn, North Carolina, a graduate of Dunn High School class of 1971. He attended Atlantic Christian College, Wilson, N.C., and Campbell College at Buies Creek, N.C. where he played baseball. A veteran of the United States Navy, he served from 1973 to 1978 and was the Senior Military Athletic Trainer at the U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD, He was preceded in death by his father, Lester Carl Langston, Jr. He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Joanne Young Langston of Gulfport, MS; his mother, Evelyn Lucas Langston; a sister; Phyllis L. Turnage and her husband Chuck; a brother, Eddy Langston and his wife Bonita, all of North Carolina; his nieces and nephews; Carlton Turnage and his wife Katie, Elizabeth Pope and her husband Chad, Zachery Turnage, W. Ross Langston and his wife Niki, Dustin Phillips, and Heather Phillips; and seven great nieces and nephews. He was employed at Gulf Coast Orthopaedic Clinic from 1978 to 2006 and Dr. George Salloum at Bienville Orthopedics from 2006-2013. His passion was serving as the head athletic trainer for Gulfport High School Admirals from 1978-2012. He was a recognized leader in his field throughout his career . He received the Archibald Clinton Hewes Sports Medicine Award in 1983; was named an Outstanding Mississippian by the Jaycees in 1990; received the President's Award in 2001 and the Paul Wright Membership Award in 2002 from the Gulfport Gridiron Club. He received the 25 year award from the National Athletic Trainers Association in 1991; the Contribution to Amateur Football Award in 2002 by the Gulfport Chapter of the National Football Foundation. He was named the Mississippi Athletic Trainer of the year in 2005 by the Mississippi Athletic Trainers' Association. He was inducted into the Mississippi Coaches Hall of Fame in 2009. He is to be inducted into the Mississippi Athletic Trainers Hall of Fame this year. He was most proud of the establishment of the C. Ross Langston Sports Medicine Scholarship Fund in 1989 by his former employers, Drs Hewes, Hopper and Seidensticker which has created scholarship opportunities for numerous students to pursue studies in the sports medicine field. He was a long time member of the Gulfport Gridiron Club. Professionally he had membership in the American Society of Orthopedic Physician Assistants, Mississippi Association of Coaches, National Athletic Trainers Association, Southeast Athletic Trainers Association, and the Mississippi Athletic Trainers Association. He also served on the Harrison County Emergency Medical Management Board from 1979 to 1984. His hobbies included golf, talking and telling stories, and spending time with the many athletes and coaches of Gulfport High Admirals family. Ross was most notably known for the love, compassion and unselfishness that he displayed for others. He was a man of strong and deep Christian faith. He had an extraordinary love of all pets, especially his dogs Bogey, Carly and Daisy. His endless commitment to his work, athletes, patients and everyone he met was an example of his deep and abiding faith in Jesus Christ. He truly treated the 99th player as he did the first. His greatest love was for his wife Joanne who shared with him in everything. They were truly best friends.



Earnest L. "Doc" Harrington, Sr.

Hattiesburg, MS  All services celebrating the life of Earnest Larry "Doc" Harrington, Sr. will be held at Sacred Heart Catholic Church (313 Walnut Street), beginning with a Rosary Service on Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 4:00 pm, immediately followed by a visitation from 5:00 to 8:00 pm. A funeral mass is scheduled for 10:30 am on Wednesday, October 9, 2013 concluding with burial at Highland Cemetery. Affectionately known by countless people as "Doc", he passed away peacefully on Saturday, October 5, 2013 surrounded by his family in Hattiesburg, MS. Doc was born in Hattiesburg on December 29, 1931 in the same house his father, William Patrick "Smokie" Harrington, was born in. A graduate of Hattiesburg High School in 1949, Doc began his collegiate career at Tulane University on athletic scholarship. He later returned to Hattiesburg to attend the University of Southern Mississippi and begin his life long association with the school. In 1954 he finished his undergraduate degree while working as an athletic trainer/manager. Doc served on active duty and in the Army Reserves for over 30 years and rose to the rank of Colonel. He returned to USM in 1958 to join the athletic staff full time. While working at the University, he received his Masters and Doctorate of Education Degrees. From such humble beginnings, Doc went on to become one of the most influential athletic trainers in the nation, all while raising a family with his loving wife Phyllis, of nearly 60 years. Through his illustrious career at USM, Doc was an instructor in the Department of Coaching and Sports Administrations, a certified athletic trainer (NATA), a registered physical therapist and a corrective therapist. He was also the trainer on several U.S. Olympic teams and for 25 years in the annul Senior Bowl game. He is also credited as the driving force behind an athletic trainers certification program at USM. Doc was not only the athletic trainer he was the equipment manager and highly successful tennis coach. Professionally, he was recognized by numerous awards to include induction to the National Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame and most recently his induction into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame, the first athletic trainer to be bestowed the honor. Known by his family as Pepaw, his quick smile, great stories and short cuts on the road to anywhere will always be missed. He had the uncanny ability to see someone he knew at any place or at any time. It never seemed to be about him, even in times of illness, he was always genuinely concerned about the well being of others. For many people, he was the go-to guy when things were tough. As a family man and mentor, Pepaw taught us all how to better ourselves by living a life dedicated to faith, family, hard work and humility. Doc was preceded in death by his parents, William Patrick "Smokey" Harrington and wife Eleanor "Mamaw" along with his beloved daughter, Phyllis Marie Harrington Jackson. He is survived by his sons, Larry Harrington, Jr., and wife Rosie, of Hattiesburg, MS; Billy Harrington and wife Libby, of Hattiesburg, MS; and Kelly Harrington and wife Jennifer, of Birmingham, AL; his grandchildren, John Harrington and wife Kelsi, of Houston, TX; Zack Harrington and wife Hunter, of Starkville, MS; Ryan and Hunter Jackson, of Hattiesburg MS; Shelby, Parker, Anna-Marie and Hartley Harrington, of Hattiesburg, MS; Cooper, Dylan and Sydney Harrington, of Birmingham, AL; his brothers, William Patrick Harrington, Jr. and wife Mary; and Charles Micky Harrington and wife Neely, all of Hattiesburg, MS along with many other family members and friends.

Tommy Dee "Doc" Smith

Tommy Dee Doc Smith - STATESBORO - Tommy Dee Doc Smith joined his Savior on Friday, October 4, 2013, in Statesboro, Georgia. He was born on March 16, 1931 in Lawrenceville, Illinois to Ruby and Dick Smith. His family moved to Huntingburg, Indiana, in 1935 and operated a retail furniture business for forty years. Tom is survived by his wife of 57 years, Sue Lynch Smith, Statesboro; daughters, Julia Smith Dempsey (Cal), Barnwell, South Carolina and Cynthia Smith Waters (Adam), Statesboro; and six grandchildren, Ryan and Ross Waters and Tommy (Sally), Neal, Abby and Rachel Watkins. Tom always felt fortunate to have grown up in Huntingburg, Indiana because of its excellent school system and music program. He enjoyed playing the cornet for 27 years. Tom loved basketball, was All-State, and played in the first North-South All-Star game held in Murray, Kentucky. He was awarded basketball scholarships to Indiana University and Indiana State Teachers College. He served in the United States Army, stationed at Camp Rucker, Alabama and Fort Benning, Georgia. Tom spent fifteen years teaching and coaching in Indiana in the cities of Wheatland, Attica, Spencer, and Boonville. During this time he earned a Masters Degree in Guidance and Counseling. Tom also received a Masters Degree in Sports Medicine and Athletic Training from Indiana University. Tom Doc Smith moved his family to Statesboro, Georgia in 1971 where he accepted a position with Georgia Southern College, officially becoming known as Doc. He was an Assistant Professor of Health and held the title of Head Athletic Trainer for 23 years. During his career, Doc was honored to work with many sports legends: Georgia Southern University Head Coach, Erk Russell; Georgia Southern University Head Baseball Coaches, Ron Polk and Jack Stallings; Indiana University Head Athletic Trainer, Dwayne Spike Dixon; Head Swim Coach of Olympic swim teams at Indiana University, Doc Councilman; olympic swimmers, Mark Spitz and Gary Hall; and the 1973 Russian Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team, which included Olga Corbit. Doc was the Athletic Trainer for Georgia Southern College when the baseball team played in the NCAA 1973 World Series in Omaha, Nebraska and in the Intercontinental Cup Baseball Tournament held in Cuba in 1979. Doc proudly wore four national NCAA championship rings earned by the Georgia Southern University Football team for 1985, 1986, 1989, and 1990. Doc believed all of his student trainers to be legendary as well as all Georgia Southern University athletes. He was a great supporter of all Georgia Southern University Athletics and is now truly soaring with Eagles. A Celebration of Life Service will be held at 1:00 pm, Wednesday, October 9, at Pittman Park United Methodist Church in Statesboro with Rev. Brad Brady and Rev. Bill Bagwell officiating. Visitation will be held in the church fellowship hall from 12:00 pm until the celebration hour. Burial will be in Eastside Cemetery in Statesboro. Grandsons will serve as pallbearers. Memorial contributions may be made to the Georgia Southern University Athletic Foundation or the Tom Doc Smith Scholarship , P.O. Box 8115-01 Statesboro, Ga. 30460 . Hodges-Moore Funeral Home, Statesboro Savannah Morning News October 6, 2013 Please sign our Obituary Guest Book at


Arnold Tooson Bell

Dr. Arnold Tooson Bell, 62, of Tallahassee, went to be with the Lord, surrounded by his loving family, on Monday, September 2, 2013.He attained his Master's at Columbia (NY) University in Exercise Science and his Physical Therapy Certification at NYU; his doctorate in Higher Education was received from FSU. Dr. Bell was employed at Cleveland (Ohio) State University when, more than 30 years ago, he was recruited by Florida A&M to establish its Physical Therapy Department.


In 1991, he became the first African-American Board Certified Clinical Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy by the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties. Dr. Bell worked as an athletic trainer with the U.S. Olympic Committee. At FAMU, he worked extensively in athletics and was Teacher-of-the-Year in 2000-2001 for the School of Allied Health.


He was a 2003 inductee in the FAMU Sports Hall of Fame. He served diligently as a deacon and song director at the Springhill Road Church of Christ. He is survived by his loving and devoted wife, Lois C. Bell; daughters, Patrice L. Bell and identical twins, Antoinette N. and Anjane`C. Bell; brother, Maurice H. Bell and a host of other relatives and loving friends. He was predeceased by his parents, William and Ira Tooson Bell.

Dr. William Charles Warner

Honorary Member of the NATA, a well respected orthopedic surgeon in the sports medicine community of Mississippi, Dr. William Charles Warner, 97, died Saturday, April 27, 2013, at Trezevant Terrace in Memphis, TN. A native of Panama City, FL. His medical career he began at the University of Mississippi Medical School in Oxford for two years and graduated from the Tulane University School of Medicine in New Orleans, LA in 1942.
In Mississippi  he practiced with the Jackson Bone and Joint Clinic for 32 years. He continued to serve as an orthopedic consultant for the MSU Athletic department for approximately  35 years. He considered it an honor and privilege to care for the various players over the years and enjoyed working with the coaches and Athletic trainers. He also served as Chief of Staff at Baptist Medical Center and Doctors Hospital. Dr. Warner was inducted into the Association of Coaches Hall of Fame in 1994, into the National Athletic Trainers Association in 1997.He will be remembered by his family and peers  for his kind and gentle spirit, work ethic, dedication, and optimism. Dr. Warner was preceded in death by his wife of 50 years, Virginia Ross Warner, his parents, and his brother George Sheppard (Shep) Warner. He is survived by his daughter Lynn Warner Grant (David) of Nashville, TN, his son William Charles Warner, Jr. (Susan) of Memphis, TN and grandson Ross.



Dale James Krach

Mr. Dale James Krach, age 65, of Sharpsburg, Ga., passed away at his home Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012. Mr. Krach was born in Philadelphia, Pa. to Mrs. Laura Abel Krach and the late James Krach. He and his family moved to Coweta County in 1984. He was a Certified Athletic Trainer, a teacher at Northgate High School, and a constant, reassuring presence on the sidelines at Coweta County sporting events. He is survived by his wife, Donna R. Davis Krach; his mother, Laura Abel Krach of Doylestown, Pa; his children, Joshua Krach and wife Kathleen of Montgomery, Al., and their daughter, Svea; Nathan Krach of Sharpsburg, Ga.; and Amy Krach of Atlanta, Ga.; siblings Robert Krach and wife Ann of Franklin, Ga., and Robert's daughter Alexandra; Alan Krach of Doylestown, Pa., and Linda Krach and husband Robert Kriel of Minneapolis-St. Paul, Mn.

Eugene "Doc" Harvey
Eugene "Doc" Harvey, longtime Grambling State University athletic trainer, departed this life, May 22, 2012. He was laid to rest by his family. Saturday May 26, 2012, in Grambling, LA, under the direction of Miller's Funeral Home, Ruston, LA.

Pallbearers included Darrell Sanders, St., Darrell Sanders, Sr., Andre Lewis, Ewing Collier, Gregory Gray, Darrell Sanders, Jr., Larry Pannell, Charlie Lewis, Vyron Brown, Douglas Lee Williams, and Rodney Billups.

Eugene Isaac Harvey was the fifth child born to George and Blanch Harvey, Berwick, Louisiana. He was educated in the public school system of St. Mary Parish, after which he entered the United States Navy. He later received recognition for his service during World War II in the form of an Honor Medal bestowed upon him by Governor Bobby Jindal. Upon completion of his military service he entered Xavier University and later the University of Indiana where he also began as an athletic trainer. Upon receiving his B.S. degree, he stayed on to complete his Masters. Harvey earned his physical therapy certificate at the American Institute of Science in Indianapolis, Indiana.

After college his first job was as a trainer for the Brooklyn Dodgers and later the Los Angeles Dodgers. In the 1950's, he worked with Hall of Famers Jackie Robinson and Duke Snider. Having served in the major leagues, he joined the Grambling State University Athletic Department.

Doc Harvey, as he was fondly known, served as the Athletic Trainer for men's and women's teams for a period in excess of fifty years. As Coach Eddie Robinson liked to say, "Doc always kept the Tigers healthy and ready for the next game. For Doc was as much as a part of the team as the players."

In 1980, Harvey was inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame. Six years later he, was honored by the National Athletic Trainers Association Hall of Fame. Further in the summer of 2011 he was inducted in the GSU Legends Hall of Fame. Currently Harvey is listed as a candidate in the field of Sports Medicine for the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame.

He was preceded in death by his wife of 51 years, Eva Mae Davis Harvey, one brother, George Harvey, three sisters, Margaret Phillips, Beatrice Dumas and Annie Belle Turner.

He leaves to mourn his passing two daughters, Carla H. Moore, Cynthia H. Douglas (Ernest), one grand-daughter, Morgan Elizabeth Douglas and one step grand-daughter, MiaChante' Douglas, all of Baton Rouge, Louisiana; several nieces, nephews, cousins, and a myriad of friends.


Stephen E. Glickman

Stephen E. Glickman passed away on July 26, 2011.  Steve was the victim of ALS, a progressive and incurable neurological disease.

Steve was born in Philadelphia, Pa. in 1946.  A good student, he graduated from PTI with a degree in business.  After graduation, Steve entered the US Army and served for 13 months in Viet Nam.

Upon his return, as a decorated veteran, he decided to change his career and dedicate his life to serving and helping others.  He attended the University of Pa. earning a degree in physical therapy.  Later, he added certifications as an athletic trainer at Temple University and as a licensed massage therapist.

In Tampa he helped establish and became the director of the TGH Sports Medicine Clinic.  He became an athletic trainer for the Tampa Bay Rowdies, a professional soccer team.  He also served as the athletic trainer and therapist for Tampa’s Professional Jai Alai teams, The Tampa Ballet and Theatre, The Outback Bowl and numerous other professional, collegiate and scholastic athletes.  Steve is a member of the Athletic Trainers’ Association of Florida Hall of Fame.

For many years, Stephen worked as an athletic trainer for the Robinson High School Knights.  There, he not only helped train and heal injured players, but also served as a role model, guide and friend to these mostly poor young men.

Stephen has been recognized both locally and statewide for his professional skills as a teacher and therapist as well as for his many contributions to the Tampa community.  Among the later were volunteering innumerable hours helping to improve the health and quality of life of Tampa’s residents and his passionate participation in the Gasparilla events.  Stephen had a life time desire to help other Viet Nam vets who were less fortunate than he.

Few of us will leave a permanent legacy when we pass on; Steve already has…Ron and Linda Glickman



Kevin Francis Uhler

He died Thursday, May 5, 2011, at Cullman Regional Medical Center. He was preceded in death by his mother, Anna Lorraine Huster Uhler, and son, Andrew Jacob Uhler. Survivors include his wife, Teri Rock Uhler; son, Terry John ‘T.J.’ Uhler; father, John Thomas Uhler Jr.; brothers, Dennis Michael Uhler and James Thomas Uhler; mother- and father-in-law, Donna and Terry Rock.

Joseph E. Bourdon

Joseph E. Bourdon died peacefully at home, Tuesday, March 29, 2011. He is the son of Earl and Gladys Bourdon, both deceased. He leaves his loving wife, Lana and his children, Joseph and Tania Bourdon, John Bourdon and Jill Bourdon and treasured grandchildren Kelsey, Hannah, Sarah and Jo Jo Bourdon with caring, loving and fun memories. He will continue to be present in our lives because of his incredible love and memorable personality. He also leaves his brothers Tom, Dick and wife Lil and special loving sister Mary Ann and husband, Jim. He also leaves surviving siblings and numerous nieces and nephews which mostly reside in Michigan, his birth state. He will also be dearly missed by many friends and acquaintances. After graduation from Marquette University in 1965 and Bowling Green State University 1968, he continued his career as an Athletic Trainer for numerous colleges and professional sports teams. He loved his work and is well admired and respected. He finished his career as the Director of Sports Medicine at Nemours Children's Hospital. He logged many happy hours on his sailboat or on any other boat that might need crew. Stories and memories will be in people's hearts for many reasons. The family wishes to extend heartfelt thanks to our new friend and caregiver, Mary Pinckney. We also thank the Green Team of Hospice of North Florida. They were angels with an incredibly professional and organized caring spirit for Joe. Our family is extremely thankful for their support.


Johnda L. Wireman-Bayes

Johnda L. Wireman-Bayes, 44, of Catlettsburg, went to be with her Lord on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011, in Cabell Huntington Hospital. Mrs. Wireman-Bayes was born April 30, 1966, in Portsmouth, Ohio, a daughter of John Wireman and the late Marilyn Marshall Wireman.

Johnda was a graduate of Greenup County High School, the University of Kentucky and Marshall University. She was a member of the National Athletic Trainers Association, the Kentucky Athletic Trainers Society, the Ohio Athletic Trainers Association and the California Athletic Trainers Association. She was a lifetime member of the UK Alumni Association and a former certified athletic trainer at Portsmouth High School, Shawnee State University and Morehead State University. She was also a former director of sports medicine and head athletic trainer at Eastern Kentucky University. Most recently the assistant athletic trainer at Boyd County High School, she was one of only two women to work as certified athletic trainers in the NFL, working with the San Diego Chargers. She was a member of Oakland Avenue Baptist Church and enjoyed reading and studying the Bible.

Johnda leaves behind her loving husband, David Bayes; two sons by marriage, John Bayes and his wife, Kim, of Frankfort and Corey Bayes of Catlettsburg; a precious grandson, Benjamin; three brothers, Keith Wireman (Glenna) and Jeff Wireman (Missi), both of Lloyd, and Charles Wireman (Gina) of Greenup; and a very special niece and nephews, Jeremy Wireman (Lara), Brent Wireman, Todd Wireman (Danielle), Josh Wireman, Chaz Wireman and Ashley Wireman.


James Brock Terwilleger

Terwilleger Sr., James “Doc” B., 66, of Sanford, the son of Mary Nancy Terwilleger and the late James E. Terwilleger, Jr. passed away on November 3, 2010.  He has fought a battle with cancer for over 6 years and the Lord called him home to victory.  He is survived by his wife Linda Sue Williams of 44 years; his son Jim and Tammy Terwilleger; his daughter Nancy and Noy Rivers.  He has five grandchildren, Aric Terwilleger, Heath, Payton, Jaley and Faith Rivers and one great-grandchild, James Terwilleger.  He is also survived by three brothers, John, David and Bill Terwilleger, all of Sanford. Jim was born and raised in Sanford.  His great, great grandfather, Seth French, was one of the first settlers in Sanford.  Jim graduated from Seminole High School in 1962, where he played football with an undefeated team!  He attended the Citadel in South Carolina and graduated from Murray State University in Kentucky. Jim taught in the Science Department and worked as the Athletic Trainer at Seminole High School for 37 years, where he was lovingly nicknamed “Doc”.  He was the first Certified Athletic Trainer in Seminole County and is credited for assisting in the establishment of Sport Medicines programs in Seminole County High Schools.  He was inducted into the Seminole County Sports Hall of Fame, Athletic Trainers Association of Florida Hall of Fame and the Seminole High School Sports Hall of Fame.  He was an active member of First United Methodist Church in Sanford and even attended several of the church’s mission trips with the youth group to build houses in the Mountains of Tennessee for those less fortunate.  He enjoyed boating, fishing, photography, scuba diving and woodworking.  He was a loving husband, devoted father/grandfather, and dedicated teacher to many, many students and athletes. 


James L. Bible

(June 23, 1934 -  July 10, 2010)
Jim Bible passed away in July at age 76.  Bible spent 30 years in the athletic training profession, working as head athletic trainer for Indiana University, the University of Louisville and the Orlando Renegades.  He also worked for the Orlando Parks and Recreation Department until he retired.

He was the son of the late Lucy and Harry Bible of Chattanooga, Tenn.  He is survived by Gloria, his loving wife of 50 years and his sons: James bible and wife Rhonda of Coral springs, Fla. and Chris Bible and wife Julie of Lithia, Fla.  Bible is also survived by his six grandchildren: Christopher, Katie, Sean, Meghan, Jacob, and Matthew, and his sister, Martha Mittness of Atlanta, Ga.

Jason Townsend Bland

Jason Townsend Bland, thirty-seven-years-old, passed away Monday, June 7, 2010, after a courageous, eighteen-month battle with cancer. A celebration of his life will be held Saturday, June 12, at 1:00 p.m., at University Church of Christ, Shreveport, with a reception following at the church. Officiating will be Jerry Hodge of University Church of Christ.

Jason was born in New Orleans and was a resident of Shreveport for thirty-two years. He was a 1990 graduate of C.E. Byrd High School and a 1996 graduate of Henderson State University, where he played football for the Jackets and the Reddies. His love of sports brought him to the field of sports medicine.

He was a member of the National Athletic Trainer's Association as well as a certified member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He loved his career as the athletic trainer for Airline High School sports, employed through Willis-Knighton Hospital. He also created and taught a sports medicine program for the Bossier Parish Technical School. Because of Jason's battle with cancer, he and his family worked to raise awareness of the dangers of tobacco use and the importance of early cancer detection. His family's bold attitude and voice earned him recognition at the Bossier Parish Relay For Life , and he and his wife were named the Honorary Chairs of the 2010 Baron's Ball for the American Cancer Society.  Jason was also an active member of University Church of Christ.

Jason was preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Doug and LaMoyne Salter; paternal grandfather, Lenhart Bland, Jr.; mother-in-law, Janice Kay Pope; and maternal aunt and uncle, Homer and Inez Townsend.

He is survived by his devoted wife, Jennifer Pope Bland; his beautiful daughters, Caroline and Hannah Bland; his loving parents, Doug Bland and Frances Salter Bland; grandmother, Marty Bland; father and mother-in-law, David and Cheryl Pope; sisters-in-law, Laura Pope Stull and husband, Greg, Marty Welch and husband, Matthew and Tanya Johnson; grandparents-in-law, Jim and Bonna Rapp; uncles, Brad Bland, Mike Bland and wife, Clarece, Johnny Salter, Michael Salter and wife, Cheryl; and numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins.

The family would like to express their sincere appreciation to the nurses and staff of Willis-Knighton Cancer Center and Hospice and LSUMC/Feist-Weiller Cancer Center, specifically Dr. Cherie-Ann Nathan, Dr. Chad Hargon, and Dr. Sanford Katz.


Lori Mobley Groover

Lori Mobley Groover, MS, ATC, LAT,  OTC enriched Heaven Saturday morning, August 8th at Candler Hospital in Savannah surrounded by family and friends, August 8, 2009.Lori was a native of Hinesville and had also lived in Newnan, GA and Thibodaux, LA.

Lori was in transition to become the Director of Athletic Training Services at the Medical College of Georgia, in Augusta and her previous position of Assistant Professor in the School of Allied Health Sciences and Coordinator of Health Science at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, LA when she was diagnosed with her illness on June 12th of this year.  Prior to her success at Nicholls State, Lori was able to serve others through her profession of Athletic Training at Candler Sports Medicine and Memorial Sports Medicine, South Effingham High School, Woodward Academy in College Park, GA, as well as through her participation in the University Orthopedic Physician Extender Program in Atlanta.  Lori’s skills were learned through her achievements at Valdosta State University, Georgia Southern University, and the University of Cincinnati.

Lori not only served the individuals she encountered but also served her profession as an Athletic Trainer for the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games; as a member of the Georgia High School Association Sports Medicine Advisory Committee; as a member of the Gatorade Athletic Trainers Board; as Vice-President as well as President of the Georgia Athletic Trainers' Association; and most recently as a member of the Executive Board and Secretary of the Southeast Athletic Trainers' Association.  Her professional legacy is evident because her efforts, skills, and leadership advanced and enhanced these associations so their members can better serve others.

She is survived by her husband, Gary M. Groover, her parents Bobby and Sandy Mobley, sister Jennifer Zabel, brother-in-law Charles Zabel, nieces Chandler Zabel, Addisyn Zabel, and Shelbi Foltyn, grandmother Frances Mobley, father and mother-in-law Guy L. and Ann Groover, and several aunts and cousins.


Thomas "Doc" Simmons

The Murray State Racer family lost a dear member Wednesday with the passing of former head athletic trainer Tom "Doc" Simmons.

He is survived by his wife Margaret, who served as track and field coach and administrator at MSU for 38 years, and two children, Mary Jo and Mark (Tooter).

Simmons came to Murray State in 1964 as the school’s first athletic trainer and effectively brought sports medicine to western Kentucky. When he arrived, there were only two other athletic trainers in the state: at Kentucky and Louisville.

Simmons devoted 27 years of service to MSU before retiring in 1993. He was inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame in 1990.

"It’s hard to know where to start. Doc was the first athletic trainer at Murray State, and one of the first in both the Ohio Valley Conference and the state," said current MSU Head Athletic Trainer Alan Lollar. "The number of lives he has touched, both as an athletic trainer and a mentor, are really too numerous to count. Many of us would not be where we are today without Doc. When you were his friend, you learned what friendship meant."

"In a day and time when people routinely think of themselves first, he was just the opposite. He worked until the job was done. Ultimately, the heart he gave so many times, just gave out. He will be missed, but will be an influence on our lives forever."

In 2006, Simmons was inducted as a member of the inaugural class of the Kentucky Athletic Trainers Society Hall of Fame. He was also selected as the District Trainer of the Year by the Southeast Athletic Trainers Association in 1993 and 1994.

The legacy of Tom "Doc" Simmons is a constant inside the halls of Stewart Stadium as the athletic training room bears his name. Simmons designed and laid out the training room when the plans for the stadium were being developed in the late 1960’s.

Simmons grew up in Detroit, Mich., and earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Detroit. He earned a master’s degree in physical education from Murray State in 1967.

Before joining MSU, Simmons worked with the Detroit Lions and Buffalo Bills of the NFL and the NBA’s Detroit Pistons.

"Tom Simmons will always be remembered for his service to Murray State and its student-athletes," said MSU Director of Athletics Allen Ward. "He gave his life to MSU and for that he will forever be a part of the Racer family."

In lieu of flowers and gifts, the family asks that donations be made in the name of Tom Simmons to: St. Leo Catholic Church, Attention: Building Fund, 401 North 12th Street, Murray, Ky. 42071

Friday, December 19, 2008  MURRAY, Ky. — Thomas “Doc” Edward Simmons, 73, of Murray died Wednesday at Murray-Calloway County Hospital.

Mr. Simmons a member of St. Leo Catholic Church in Murray, and a retired athletic trainer and assistant professor for Murray State University.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Simmons of Murray; one daughter, Mary Jo Yates of Henderson; one son, Mark Simmons of Henderson; one sister; and three grandchildren. He was preceded in death by one brother. His parents were Edward Simmons and Florence Schooff Simmons.



Gina Martin

Gina Martin, age 39, of Orlando, FL passed away Tues. Dec. 16th, following a brave battle with leukemia.

Gina Martin was born in Bethesda, Maryland graduated from Syracuse University in 1993 with her undergraduate degree.  She earned her MA from the University of North Carolina in 1993.  She began her athletic training career in Deerfield, MA before establishing the sports medicine program at Lake Highland Preparatory School where she cared for the Lake Highland community for the past 15 years.

Gina's family, friends, and the Lake Highland community are grateful for Gina's dedication to helping people; she will be truly missed.  Gina is survived by her son, Tyler; Jeff Martin; parents, Bob and Sally Selepak; sister, Keri Kolbay; and grandmothers, Ann Profaizer and Mary Selepak.  With her caring and loving spirit, Gina touched many hearts throughout the Orlando community; she will be dearly missed by all. 



Randall William “Randy" Sharpe

(February 28, 1954 - October 10, 2008)  Mr. Randall William “Randy" Sharpe, 54, of Waycross Died suddenly Friday night at the Satilla Regional Medical Center.  He was born in Jesup, Georgia to the late William Irvin Sharpe and Margaret Moore Sharpe.  Randy was born and raised in Jesup where he graduated from Wayne County High School in 1972.  He then went on to attend the University of Georgia where he became a letterman in 1974 as a trainer.

He started his love for sports as a player in the Wayne County little league.  During his high school years, Randy wanted to play college football and then go into the ranks of the National Football League where he would be happy doing something in the world of sports.

Vince Dooley, then the University of Georgia head football coach, chose Randy to become a member of the (1973-1978) University of Georgia Football Team.  His knees that gave him strength and speed could not take anymore punishment.  Coach Dooley gave Randy a chance to become a trainer for the team.  Randy, along with other duties, became the University of Georgia Chief Recruiter for high schools and recommended some of the best talents on the University of Georgia football team during those years.

In addition to athletics, Randy was also a musician and song writer and participated in several bands in high school and college as a drummer and vocalist.

In 1977 Randy moved to Waycross where he became Director of the Waycross / Ware County Recreation Department and met his future bride Joyce Carpenter.

Waycross High School decided to add him to the staff as athletic trainer in 1980.  Randy spent 31 years as an athletic trainer working with both the Waycross High School Bulldogs and the Ware County Gators.  He has cared for thousands of football, basketball, baseball, soccer players, wrestlers, and cheerleaders with injuries in his 31 years.  Randy has also taught student athletic trainer classes.  He was a member of the 1996 Olympic Committee of Waycross / Ware County and also the Athletic Trainer for Olympic team from Lithuania that trained here in the 1990’s.  Randy was a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a volunteer and active in the Boy Scouts of America and a coach of little League teams in a variety of sports.

He was currently employed by Wells-Cargo as the Sales Manager for the entire Southeastern United States.  He was a member of Central Baptist Church, Billy Bowlegs Society, Main Street and Swampfest Committees and was active with the Okefenokee Heritage Center.  He was presented the 2008 Health Hero Award by the Waycross / Ware County Chamber of Commerce.

Throughout his life in Waycross and Ware County Randy was a champion for our community and a silent disciple for Waycross and Ware County.  Randy touched thousands of Waycrossans who never knew him personally but whose lives have been made better by his deep involvement and contribution to our community.  Those that were blessed to be a friend of Randy’s were truly blessed and will forever miss his smile, his compassion and his constant words of encouragement, but most importantly, Randy was a loving husband and father.

He was preceded in death by his father, William Irvin Sharpe and his farther-in-law, Rev. Henry Carpenter whom he was very close to.

He is survived by his wife, Joyce Sharpe of Waycross, two sons, Jonathan Sharpe and his fiancé Michelle Rittenhouse of Waycross, Joshua Sharpe of Waycross, his mother, Margaret Moore Sharpe of Jesup, two sisters, Tammy Peek and her husband Danny of Jesup, Tina Johnson and her husband Stanley of Baxley, his mother-in-law, Lunette Carpenter, two sister-in-laws, Josie McQuaig and her husband Marlon of Waycross, Betty Jean Thomas of Waycross, a brother-in-law, Henry Carpenter of Nashville, Georgia and numerous nieces, nephews and other relatives.



Kevin M. Jones

Kevin M. Jones, age 32, of Madisonville, Kentucky, formerly of Hot Springs, died September 16, 2008.  He was born on May 7, 1976 in Hot Springs, AR. Kevin received his degree in Athletic Training in 2000 from Henderson State University.  In 2003 he received a MA in Sports Administration.

Kevin was an Athletic Trainer for Trover Sportsmedicine Foundation in Hopkinsville and worked at Madisonville North High School in Madison, Kentucky.  While covering a soccer event on Tuesday, September 16th he collapsed and was taken to the hospital in which he passed away later that evening. 


Cynthia Ann “Cindy” Wall

Cynthia Ann "Cindy" Wall, 45, of Auburn, died unexpectedly Wednesday, September 24, 2008. Born in Jacksonville, IL to William and Patricia Wall, Cindy graduated from Jacksonville High School in 1981. Cindy earned an undergraduate degree in Sports Medicine from Arizona State University in 1986 and a Masters of Science in Health and Human Performance from the University of Kentucky in 1989. Cindy joined the Auburn Athletic Department in 1991 as trainer for the Women's Basketball team, and was most recently involved in athlete rehabilitation with Dr. Mike Goodlett.  Cindy was a member of Cornerstone United Methodist Church.

Cindy loved people and she made them feel special. She had a giving spirit and servant heart. She made comfort quilts for cancer patients. She knitted hats for babies in intensive care. Cindy, an avid bicyclist, supported Parkinson's research by participating in the annual Bike Ride Across Georgia and Johnny Ray Century rides.

Cindy loved Auburn Athletics and the athletes she worked with, her "kids". She promised their parents they would be well cared for, and in many ways, she was like a second mom. Whether they needed surgery or had a simple sinus infection, she was always there for them.

Cindy loved quilting and the women in her quilt guild. These ladies understood the quilting fever Cindy shared with her mom, and supported Cindy's playful addiction to buying and trading exotic fabrics. The Thursday girls will always remember her.

Cindy loved her family deeply. She would travel to Florida or California to be with them at a moment's notice. Cindy loved her nephews and never missed a birthday celebration. She took every opportunity to be part of their lives.

Cindy has left an indelible mark on those around her. We will miss her genuine personality and unconventional manner.

Cindy is survived by her father, William L. Wall and his wife, Marilyn Wall; her mother, Patricia Joan Wall; her brother William Scott Wall and sister-in-law, Cynthia Wall and their children, William Hayden Wall and Jay Dalton Wall. She is also survived by her goddaughter, Michelle Glahn.



Richard Morsch

Morsch, Richard, 92, of Boynton Beach, FL died Tuesday. May 20, 2008.  Scobee-Combs-Bowden Funeral Home & Crematory, Boynton Beach.  Funeral and graveside service Friday.


Jeffrey Wayne Baldwin

Jeff Baldwin, 30, died March 20, 2008 at his home in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.  He was born in Louisville on March 28, 1977.  Jeff died after a courageous two-year battle with brain cancer called Glioblastoma.  He graduated from Waggener High School in 1995.  He went on to graduate with honors from the University of West Alabama and completed graduate work at the West Virginia University .  He worked as an athletic trainer at Lincoln Memorial University, Arkansas State University and the University of Michigan.  When diagnosed with glioblastoma, he was working on his prerequisites to become a doctor.  Jeff enjoyed being with his family and friends.  Jeff is survived by his parents, Ray and Carol Baldwin from Palm Beach Gardens; his brother, Dan; sister-in-law, Krista; two nieces, Jenna and Claire; and his maternal grandfather, Bill Hase. 

Doc Smith
Uhler, Bourdon
Wireman-Byes, Terwilleger
Bible, Bland
Martin, Sharpe
Jones, Wall
Morsch, Baldwin, Fontenot

Dowell "Doc" Fontenot

Dowell "Doc" Fontenot, 76, passed away Thursday, September 6, 2007 in a local hospital.

Dowell was born in Vidrine, La on September 5, 1931.  He attended Vidrine High School where he was a member of the high school boxing team, winning state championships in 1946 and 1947.  He went on to attend McNeese Junior College in a boxing scholarship, winning two national boxing championships.  Following college graduation, Dowell served two years in the U.S. Army.  When he left the Army, he attended Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.  While working toward his Masters of Education degree, he served as Student Athletic Trainer.  In 1956, Dowell began his twenty-year career as the first Athletic Trainer at McNeese State College.  In 1960, he attended Herman Hospital School of Physical Therapy.  He returned to McNeese State College in his capacity as Athletic Trainer and Associate Professor.  In 1975, he retired from McNeese and went into practice as the first private physical therapist in Calcasieu Parish, retiring from private practice in 1987.  Dowell has received numerous honors throughout his career, including "Distinguished Faculty" award, McNeese "President's Cup", McNeese Hall of Fame, and Louisiana Athletic Trainer's Association Hall of Fame.  In 2000, the Dowell "Doc" Fontenot Sports Medicine Center was dedicated, and in 2002, he was inducted into the Louisiana Physical Therapists Hall of Fame.

Dowell is survived by his wife, Madlyn Russell Fontenot, daughter Dana Fontenot Sorrells from Lake Charles, son Brett Alec Fontenot and daughter-in-law, Sylvia from Dallas, Texas, three grandchildren, Chandler Sorrells, Zachary Fontenot, and Camille Fontenot, two sisters, Bonnie Fontenot and Sherry Vidrine.

Dowell was preceded in death by his parents, Lula and Gilbert Fontenot, and brother Darnell Fontenot.

Brady B. Greathouse, AT Retired

Brady B. Greathouse, former Head Athletic Trainer, University of Florida, passed away on September 15, 2006. Brady Greathouse was born October 26, 1924, in Greenville, Illinois.  He attended high school in Birmingham, Alabama.  In 1942 he enlisted in the U.S. Navy and served for three years. In 1944 he married his wife of 62 years, Mary E. Danielsen Greathouse.  They have four children, nine grandchildren, and eight great grandchildren. Brady received a B.S. Ag. Degree in 1948 and a M. Ag. Degree in 1951, both from the University of Florida where he lettered as an athletic trainer.  Brady had been an athletic trainer since his days in high school where he worked with a chiropractor and all of his school's teams.  He worked with local high schools (EHS, GHS, and Bradford High School) as well as with professional sports (baseball, football, and track), colleges, amateur athletics, (AAU, TAC, US Track and Field, Olympics: summer and winter games, Florida Sunshine Games Millrose Games), and others (such as the Gainesville Civic Ballet).  He was an innovator (taping techniques) and inventor/patent holder (Gatorade/Hydraulic Football Helmet).  Much of his work had been done as a volunteer whether at local, state, national, or international events as well as with individual athletes.  He had been a long time member of the NATA. Brady was proud to be a member of the Florida Track and Field Hall of Fame and the Athletic Trainer's Association of Florida Hall of Fame.



Ramona "Mona" Barron
Ramona "Mona" Barron of Buford, Ga., died in August after an illness. She was 32 years old. Barron was a teacher and athletic trainer at Central Gwinnett High School in Georgia. She was licensed and certified in 2004 and had been an active NATA and SEATA member for several years.

She attended St. Paul United Methodist Church. Barron is survived by her parents, John and Linda; two brothers, Johnny and Michael; grandfather, Carlos Watson; one niece, Addison; one nephew, Joseph; an aunt, Neila Sullins; and an uncle, Marvin Watson.



Donna K. DeSilvey

Donna DeSilvey, who was pursuing a career in athletic training, died in August when Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast.  She was 34 years old. DeSilvey was a graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi.  She was employed as an athletic trainer in Shreveport at the time of her death.

A Mississippi native, DeSilvey had attended a memorial service for her paternal grandfather the week of the hurricane.  As the storm approached, she gathered with her parents and maternal grandparents in Ocean Springs, Miss., to face Hurricane Katrina in the same home in which they had all weathered Hurricane Camille in 1969. DeSilvey’s father, Doug DeSilvey, is the only one who survived.

“I told them all to hold hands, and we would stay together,” DeSilvey told a California newspaper. “I said that we might have to jump in the water.  I told them not to swim, but to float and find something to grab on to.

“I heard a whirling noise and the whole roof came up – you could see daylight,” DeSilvey said.  “When the roof came back down, the walls were already gone.  And then, the floor gave away, and we all went down.  The weight of the roof on the second floor is what drowned my family.”

DeSilvey had battled a rare form of bone cancer that threatened her life as a 20-year-old student in 1992.  By 1997, she had prevailed against the disease and returned to her dreams of working in sports medicine.  As a certified athletic trainer, she owned D2K Fitness Solutions for Busy People in Shreveport. She also gave presentations about athletic training.

DeSilvey died with her mother, Linda DeSilvey; and grandparents, Ted and Nadine Gifford.  She is survived by her father, Doug DeSilvey.



Amanda M. Perry, MEd, ATC

Amanda McMillan Perry, an elementary school physical education teacher and athletic trainer, died in May 2005 following a motor vehicle accident. She was 34 years old. After earning two bachelor’s degrees – in health/physical education and sports medicine – Perry earned a master’s degree from Valdosta State University. She joined the Brooks County School System in Georgia, where she worked as a PE teacher at Quitman Elementary and as the athletic trainer for Brooks County High School. The Trojans football team this year lists her as #99 on the team roster, with the inscription "Forever in our hearts."

Perry was helping transport a swimming pool as part of Quitman Elementary’s end-of-year celebration when the accident occurred. Colleagues throughout the school system noted her dedication to students.

Perry attended Sturgeon Creek Primitive Baptist Church and served as team captain for the school district’s Cancer Relay for Life team in 2005. She was an avid deer hunter and enjoyed working in her yard and spending time on the family farm.

She is survived by her husband of nine years, Charles "Bucky" Perry; one son, Charles "Mac"; one daughter, Anna; parents, Ralph and Carol McMillan; two sisters, Jennifer (husband Andrew) Thompson and Tori (husband Ray) Smith; grandparents, Hugh and Ethel Turner; and several aunts, nieces and nephews.

Ricky B. McCall

Grambling State's longtime athletic trainer Ricky McCall, lost his battle with cancer during the weekend. McCall, a Delhi native, had worked as GSU's athletic trainer since 1990. His determined effort to continue working through illness and his always-sunny disposition remain a source of inspiration.

"I feel honored to say that Rick was a friend of mine," said William Hobdy, a former GSU basketball player and nephew of legendary Tigers hoops coach Fred Hobdy. "He was a person that could turn your frown into a smile because of the charisma that he constantly displayed. He was there for me on many occasions as a friend."

Certified with both the Louisiana and the National Athletic Trainers Association in sports medicine, McCall was assigned to work with every program on campus. Assistant trainer Patricia Taylor, on staff since 1996, has been filling in.

"Ricky was the glue that held this team together," said GSU football coach Melvin Spears, who finished an injury-riddled 2004 season at 6-5. "He brought stability and calmness to a tough situation when these players got hurt. He did a remarkable job in making sure they got the care they needed to get back on the field."

After he learned of the cancer diagnosis, McCall sought alternative treatments outside the United States in an aggressive effort to beat his disease.

"Ricky McCall," Spears said, "was a warrior. We are going to add his name to our award for courage."

The community also reached out. Members of the Grambling Sports Radio Network, led by sideline reporter Eric Lydell, collected donations last year to help defray treatment expenses.

McCall never slowed down. He would spend his last days fighting the cancer growing inside of him, but continued attending to GSU's student-athletes and caring for coaching legend Eddie Robinson, who suffers from Alzheimer's-like symptoms.

Lydell said that's why he wanted to pay tribute to McCall — who was not only a good friend, but also a selfless benefactor throughout the community.

"He worked with the high schools and came out for church functions. He was always there," said Lydell. "That was something I admired about Rick. No matter what he was going through — even when he was in the hospital — he never stopped working for others. He would call from the hospital to check back to make sure everything was going well."

McCall began work in Grambling after earning a degree in sports medicine from the United States Sports Academy, then earned a master's degree in sports administration from GSU.

"I was so proud of him when he became the head trainer at GSU," said Hobdy. "His presence will be missed, but I thank God for the period of time that I was allowed to be associated with him."

McCall is survived by his former wife, Amanda, and their two children — 18-year-old daughter Metria and 17-year-old son Valon.



Ted Childs, PhD, PT, ATC
Theodore Francis Childs, Sr. was born a third generation native New Yorker on Feb. 17, 1921, the third child of Andrew Wesley Childs, Sr. and Maude Thompson Childs.  His older siblings were Andrew W. Childs, Jr. and the late Elizabeth Childs Miller.

He graduated from high school in Jamaica, N.Y.; received his B. S. degree from Shaw University, his Masters from the University of Iowa in physical therapy and his Doctorate in special education from Columbia University.  His early college education was interrupted by military service during World War II where he served in the Central Pacific.  Later, he served in the army reserves for 25 years and retired as a lieutenant colonial.

Dr. Childs had a distinguished career as an educator and rehabilitation specialist, which included physical therapist with the Veterans Administration hospitals, pediatric therapist at the Harlem Hospital, and coordinator of therapy services at New York University Medical Center/Goldwater Memorial Hospital.  He was the director of Special Educational Services Programs for Long Island University which was a model for colleges and universities around the country educating students with severe physical disabilities.  Some of his graduates from this program have had distinguished careers in many fields.  As a result, he was honored for the development of outstanding programs nationally and internationally.

He left New York to develop the physical therapy curriculum at Tuskegee University and coordinate other allied health programs.  Later, he served as chairperson for the department of education and rehabilitation services at Talladega College; chairperson of Interdisciplinary Studies Program for Health, Physical Education and Recreation at Alabama State University. He represented many professional organizations and federal government agencies in conferences held in Africa, Europe and Asia.

Dr. Childs background in sports was also impressive.  He was elected to the Shaw University Football Hall of Fame in 1995; he was a certified athletic trainer for the Baltimore Colts (l957-62) and New York Jets (1963).  His work as an athletic trainer for the Para-Olympics took him to many international games including Korea, the Netherlands and England.

In New York State, Dr. Childs was active in politics and was the first black candidate from Long Island to run for the State legislature.  He served three terms as a member of the Nassau County Board of Cooperative Education.  His hobby in the study of Black American Politics and Military History made him a popular lecturer nationwide.

Dr. Childs completed his earthly pilgrimage on Friday, February 25, 2005.  He is survived by his devoted wife of 61 years, Marie Jackson Childs, his daughter Sheilah Berg (Dean), son Theodore, Jr., (Peggy), grandchildren Jordan Berg and Brea Childs; brother Andrew (Delcie) and a host of loving relatives and friends.


Henry Leroy "Buck" Andel

Henry Leroy "Buck" Andel, 83, of Atlanta passed away Sunday, February 13, 2005 at Noble Village in Atlanta of complications from a neck injury and lung problems.  A native Atlantan, he played football for and graduated from Boys High.  He went on to graduate from Georgia Tech where he lettered in both baseball and football.  Mr. Andel was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II having received a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and three Purple Hearts for his service.  From 1948 until 1969, he was the head athletic trainer of all sports including track, basketball, baseball and wrestling at Georgia Tech during which time he served 13 Bowl teams.  For 18 of those years, he was a key member of the staff of Bobby Dodd, legendary head football coach from 1945 to 1966.

"I depended on Buck a great deal," Mr. Dodd said in 1987. "I never questioned when he told me a player was not ready to play; if he did, I didn't play the player. If he told me a player was all right, I would put him in the game. I had complete confidence in Buck."

"When Georgia Tech made its big move to be recognized as a real college football power, Buck Andel was the athletic trainer," said All-American linebacker George Morris of Atlanta, a member of the 1950-52 teams. "Buck was on the cutting edge of the profession.  He led calisthenics, which we had never done before.  He didn't cut you much slack. He knew who was really hurt and who just wanted to be stroked a little bit."

"Buck was a great athletic trainer, considered one of the best in the country," said All-American lineman Ray Beck of Cedartown, a Tech player 1949-1951. "If a player came in with a pulled groin or pulled muscle, he'd put you in the whirlpool and get on some liniment.  He'd make sure you weren't faking and get you back on the field as soon as possible.  But if you were hurt, he'd realize it and give you great rehab treatment."

Mr. Andel was in charge of travel arrangements for the Tech teams, too.  He did not tolerate laggards. His catchphrase, said Atlanta Journal-Constitution sports columnist Furman Bisher, was, "Be late, be left."

He was an Athletic Trainer at the Olympics in 1960.  He was honored with memberships in the NATA (National Athletic Trainers Association) Hall of Fame (1986), the Georgia Tech Hall of Fame (1968), and a citation from the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame. After leaving Tech, Mr. Andel was best known as a salesman of upscale men's clothing at the Zachry stores downtown and at Lenox Square mall.

He was preceded in death by his wife of 59 years, June Garner Andel. Survivors include two sons, Michael Henry Andel, New Richmond, OH, and Kelly Bryan Andel, Atlanta; a daughter; Theresa June Prater, Lawrenceville; three grandchildren, Alex Andel, Ben Andel, and Ivy Griggs; and three great-grandchildren.


Ray S. Baggett, Ed.D., ATC

Ray was an Adjunct Professor at Troy University for the last 10 years and long time SEATA member.  He retired from Indiana State University in 1995.  A veteran of the US Air Force, he received his bachelors from Troy State, Masters from Indiana University, and Doctorate from the University of Alabama.  His career spanned service at Indiana University, West Point, 30 years at Indiana State, and most recently at Troy State.  Ray was a lifetime member of the NATA and Phi Delta Kappa National Honorary Fraternity.  He touched the lives of thousands of young men and women through his efforts as an Athletic Trainer and educator.


Dr. Jack C. Hughston

Jack C. Hughston, MD, orthopedist and pioneer of sports medicine, dies in Columbus, GA. Jack C. Hughston, MD, orthopedist, founder of The Hughston Clinic, and one of the pioneers in the field of sports medicine died September 6, 2004 at his home in Cataula, Georgia. He is survived by his wife Sarah Hardaway Hughston; children Jack Chandler Hughston, Louise Hughston O’Kelley, Edgar Mayo Hughston; and grandchildren Sally Foley Hughston, Sarah Hughston O’Kelly, and Jack Mayo Hughston.

Dr. Hughston, 87, was born in Florence, Alabama, grew up in Columbus Georgia, established The Hughston Clinic in 1949 and became one of the most respected practitioners of orthopedics and sports medicine in the country.

In the early 1950’s, Dr. Hughston became a leader in developing the Crippled Children’s Clinics of the Public Health Department in Georgia. At the same time, he developed an interest in the welfare of athletes in area high schools and at Auburn University, and over the next several years, he became one of the pioneers of the specialty of sports medicine.

He was Chairman of Sports Medicine for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons from 1965 through 1975. He was one of the founders of the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine and the International Society of the Knee, and an honorary member of the National Athletic Trainers Association. He started the American Journal of Sports Medicine, a prestigious scientific journal, of which he was editor from 1972 through 1989. In 1970, Dr. Hughston was appointed clinical professor and The Hughston Clinic participated in the training of Tulane orthopaedic residents for more than 20 years. He received an honorary doctor of science degree from Auburn University and was an adjunct professor at Auburn University School of Veterinary Medicine.

Dr. Hughston devoted the greater part of his life to education and research in orthopaedics and sports medicine. His concept of a foundation for teaching and research as a necessary part of the clinical practice of orthopaedics became a reality when he established the Hughston Sports Medicine Foundation. Another result of his lifelong dedication to sports medicine is the Hughston Sport Medicine Hospital--the first hospital of its kind, which was built by the Hospital Corporation of America in Columbus, Georgia in 1984.

Physician, educator, and author, Dr. Hughston wrote several books and numerous scientific articles that were published in peer-reviewed medical journals. He is well known for his work treating knee injuries and for being the first to establish postdoctoral fellowships in sports medicine that allow physicians who have completed their exposure to orthopaedic sports medicine.

“The entire Hughston community mourns the loss of our mentor, Dr. Jack Hughston,” said John I. Waldrop, MD, President of The Hughston Clinic. “We will sorely miss him, but his legacy will last for generations to come. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Sarah, and the entire Hughston family.”


Milton White Neathery, Jr.

Milton White Neathery, Jr. 48, died March 17, 2004.  Born in Knoxville, TN, he was the son of Dr. Milton, Sr. and Marie Neathery of Athens. Mr. Neathery was a member of the first graduating class (1973) and first football team of Cedar Shoals High School. He was a 1977 Health and Physical Education graduate of the University of Georgia and a member of the Georgia football team. Following graduation, he became teacher, coach and trainer at Cedar Shoals High School from 1977 until present. He was awarded Sertoma Man of the Year in 1986. He was also an EMT. Mr. Neathery was an active member of Green Acres Baptist Church, serving in numerous capacities, including chairman of the deacons, Sunday School teacher and youth leader.

Funeral services will be Saturday, March 20, 2004 at 11:00 AM at Green Acres Baptist Church with Rev. Don Leaptrott and Dr. Tim Vaughn officiating. Interment will be in Athens Memory Gardens. Pallbearers will be Steve Griffin, Milton Mills, Dr. Larry Guthrie, Pat Perrin, Jim Kirby and Sgt. Major Greg Jordan.

Honorary pallbearers will be coaches and football team members at Cedar Shoals HS. Survivors in addition to his parents, include his wife, Diane Price Neathery; 3 children, Joshua Bryan Neathery, Kathryn Marie Neathery and Joanne Elizabeth Neathery.


James "Jamie" Fletcher, ATC

James F. Fletcher, a wellness director and an instructor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, died when his plane crashed near the Alabama/Florida border in 2004. He was 48 years old.

Fletcher, a Navy veteran, was born in Colorado Springs, Colorado., and moved to Florida in 1986 from Gramby, Colorado.  He was a member of Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church, where he was a lectern, and was a volunteer with the American Red Cross and the Literacy Council.

Fletcher was a member of the NATA and had identified the university/educator setting as his practice setting.  He also belonged to Aircraft Owner and Pilots Association, the American Bonanza Society and the National Strength & Conditioning Association. He earned a master’s degree and doctorate at the University of Central Florida.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Kathleen; a son, Zack, and a daughter, Meredi Fletcher; his parents, Dave and Marie Fletcher; two brothers, Paul and Peter; and a sister, Mary Forstall.


Rosemary Hinton
Rosemary Hinton, a longtime teacher and athletic trainer who had become an athletics director, died after being struck by lightning on the sidelines of a game in Vero Beach, Fla., in 2003. She was 46 years old.

Hinton, a Florida native, earned a bachelor’s degree from Biola University in Los Angeles and attended Chapman College, where she completed requirements for her ATC credential. She also earned a master’s degree from Florida Atlantic University.

She taught courses for the American Red Cross and volunteered as an athletic trainer in the 1982 Olympics, the 1986 Pan-Am Games and the 1996 Olympics. For 16 years, she worked at Saint Edward’s School, where she taught science and PE, coached girls varsity golf, soccer, volleyball and softball, and served as both the athletic trainer and the athletics director. During the summer, she taught water sports camps.

She is survived by her partner of 14 years, Barbara McClure; and an extended family of cousins: Sue Ann Hinton; Lyn (husband Chris) Blahnick; Lee (husband Larry) Reisman; Jan (husband Shane) Styron; John (wife Patti) Hinton; Marjorie Hinton; Suzanne Kugler; Rodney Lang; David (wife Linda) Cribben; Rosann (husband Robert) Cribben; and David (wife April) McGuirt. She was preceded in death by her parents, Bailey and Maxine Hinton; and brother, Denny Hinton.


Martin J. Broussard

A professor and athletic trainer at LSU for more than 60 years, died Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 3 a.m. at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center.  He was 84, a resident of Baton Rouge and a native of Abbeville.  He served as a U.S. Army medic during World War II. Survived by his former wife, Margaret C. Broussard, Baton Rouge; a daughter and son-in-law, Kathy and William S. Beall Jr., Baton Rouge; two sons and a daughter-in-law, M.J. "Buddy" Jr. and Lynne Broussard, and R.A. "Randy" Broussard, all of Baton Rouge; two sisters, Margaret Baudoin and Therese Abel, both of Lafayette; four grandchildren, Trey Beall and wife Shelly, Nicole Broussard Hayes and husband Daniel, Pvt. Joseph Broussard and Johnathan Broussard; and two greatgrandchildren, Brianna and Londyn Beall.  Preceded in death by his parents, P.O. Sr. and Katherine Peters Broussard; three brothers, L.O., Edwin and P.O. Broussard Jr.; a sister, Helen Burdin; and granddaughter and namesake, Marti Lynn Beall.  He was a member of the L Club, ODK, Phi Delta Kappa and National Trainers Association.


Andy “Doc” Bryan

Any “Doc” Bryan, a veteran certified athletic trainer, died in February.  He was 49 years old. As a certified athletic trainer, Bryan logged countless hours and almost three decades of service to college athletes and physically active members of the community.

A Mississippi native, Bryan graduated from Noxubee County High School in 1969 and continued his education at Delta State University.  After earning his degree in 1974, Bryan became head athletic trainer at his college alma mater, where he worked for 18 years.  Bryan is remembered as being a positive role model for numerous athletes, coaches, students, administrators and others of the Delta State Community.

In 1988, he left the university to provide athletic training services in the clinic and hospital settings.  He worked briefly for Doctors Hospital before assuming the role of co-director of athletic training services at University Hospital in Jackson, MS.  He also worked for the Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center in Jackson form 1989 through 2001.

Bryan was an active member of the NATA, the Southeast Athletic Trainers’ Association, giving unselfishly of his time and talent to promote the athlete’s wellbeing and foster positive relationships between all parties involved in athletic health care.  He became known for his jovial demeanor and commitment to continued safety for the physically active population. Throughout his career, Bryan served as a mentor for dozens of athletic training students and athletes.


Aimee Gunnoe, MS, ATC

Aimee Gunnoe, an Instructor in the Athletic Training program at Georgia Southern University, was killed April 8, 2002 in a traffic accident on her way home from working as an athletic trainer at a cheerleading competition in Daytona Beach, FL.  She was 29 years old.

At Georgia Southern she has served as clinical coordinator for the past 3 years and as a clinical athletic trainer for men's/women's tennis.  This spring she was hired in this role permanently.

Aimee completed her undergraduate education at James Madison University and her masters degree at the University of Florida.  Prior to arriving at Georgia Southern she was the Assistant Athletic Trainer at Bethune-Cookman College in Daytona Beach, FL from 1996-1999.  She had also served as the certified athletic trainer with Vanguard High School in Florida.  Outside of GSU, she frequently served as volunteer on the medical staff for the United States Taekwondo Union, covering events such as the Junior Olympics, National Championships, and Junior and Senior National Team Trials.  In September 2001 she was selected to accompany the Junior National Team to the Junior Pan American Games in Chile.  During the summer, she worked as an athletic trainer for the National Cheerleaders Association covering camps and competitions such as the College National Cheer and Dance Championships.  This past January, she was selected to accompany High School All-Americans as they provided the pre-game and half time entertainment at the 2002 Hula Bowl, in Maui, Hawaii.

She was a past member of Phi Epsilon Kappa, Golden Key National Honor Society and Who's Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities.

She had a real love for the profession of athletic training and as such she will be buried in her athletic training clothes--khakis, sneakers and her white GSU Athletic Training polo shirt to commemorate her love for her job and profession.  A public viewing will be held in Lynchburg, VA on Wednesday evening at 6:00 p.m., and her funeral service will be on Thursday at 2:00 p.m.  A GSU memorial will be held next Monday afternoon on the GSU campus to commemorate Aimee as both a student and faculty member at Georgia Southern University.


Kimberly McMichael, MS, ATC

Kimberly McMichael an athletic trainer for Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center of Jackson was killed in a traffic accident in February 2002.

Kimberly received her Bachelor of Science degree in athletic training from the University of Southern Mississippi.  She also graduated from the University of Mississippi with a degree in health and wellness.  She provided outreach coverage for the Grenada area through Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center.

McMichael had become active in the Mississippi Athletic Trainers' Association and had served as a regional representative.

She is survived by her father, Doug; her mother, Darlene; her brother, Chris; and her stepmom, Kathy. She earned her certification in 1994 and was 31 years old.


Phillip A. Cooper

On September 1, 2001, Phillip A. Cooper of Orlando, Florida was killed in an automobile accident.  Phillip was returning to Florida Southern College, in Lakeland, Florida to begin his sophomore year in Athletic Training Educational Program.  At the young age of 20 years old, Phillip Cooper accomplished many things in the field of Athletic Training including being a member of the FSC Athletic Training Educational Program Curriculum Committee and being chosen Athletic Training Student of the Week.  Even as freshman, Phillip mentored and inspired other Athletic Training Students.  He was loved and admired by his peers, his educators, and by the student athletes.

His dedication to the athletic training profession started as University High School in Orlando, working with Athletic Trainer Christina Farley.  He proved to be a leader with the athletic training students and cared deeply about the student athletes.  His passion spread beyond the classroom and athletic training room and into his daily activities.  He participated in weightlifting, music, and was an active member in his temple.

He is survived by his parents Gary and Ann, sister Rene, brother Paul, and sister-in-law Mary Jo.  His dedication and compassionate personality will be greatly missed by family, friends and colleagues at Florida Southern College.


David Wike, ATC

David Wike first set foot on the University of Miami campus in 1938 when he was awarded a football scholarship.  He hitch-hiked from his hometown of Wilkinsburg, PA to get there.  When his playing career was cut short by a back injury, Wike decided to help the athletic trainer to stay involved.  It was the time he spent with the athletic trainer that made him decide to become an athletic trainer.

His entry into the profession after his graduation was delayed by World War II.  During the war, Wike served as an armored gunman on a B-24, flying 48 missions before being shot down over the Adriatic Sea.  Wike had to tread water for 7 hours before he was picked up by a fishing boat.

In 1947, he returned tot eh UM and became the school’s athletic trainer.  In 1952, be became a charter member of the NATA and attended the first meeting of the organization in Kansas City.

In addition to serving as the athletic trainer at the University of Miami, Wike was also an athletic trainer for the 1968 US Olympic Boxing team (which included 18 year-old George Foreman).  He also spent two years as the UM men’s basketball coach.

Dave was also present at a few of the first meetings of athletic trainer in Florida.  Those meetings lead to the formation of The Athletic Trainers’ Association of Florida. David Wike passed away on June 8, 2000 in Tallahassee, Florida.


Dr. Rudy J. Ellis

On June 2, 1997, the family, friends, athletes, and community mourned the loss of a pioneer in sports medicine for the state of Kentucky, Dr. Rudy J. Ellis.  Dr. Ellis passed away while he was in his home state of Mississippi to attend a high school class reunion.  Dr. Ellis was 78 years old and was the long time team physician for the University of Louisville.

Dr. Ellis and his partners act as team physicians for the following teams:  Bellarmine College, Spalding College, St. Catharine College, Sullivan College, Louisville Redbirds, and numerous other teams.  In addition, Dr. Ellis took great pride in taking care of the high school athlete.  He was instrumental in establishing a program to make sure that all high schools in Jefferson County, Kentucky, had a team physician for all football games.  He developed a program called “Super Saturday” in which high school athletes that could not afford a preseason physical could come get a free physical.  He also made sure that all Kentucky High School Athletic Association championships had some form of medical coverage while they were played in Louisville.  These are just a few of his accomplishments.

Dr. Ellis has received numerous awards and distinctions throughout his career.  A few that stood out to him were the 1992 Outstanding Sports Medicine Person given by SEATA.  In 1993, the Kentucky High School Athletic Directors Association bestowed on Dr. Ellis a Service Award that now bears his name.  In 1994, Dr. Ellis was inducted into the Kentucky Athletic Hall of Fame.

A quote for Jerry May, ATC, head basketball athletic trainer from the University of Louisville, sums it all up:  “Dr. Ellis has been a leader in sports medicine for over 35 years.  His commitment to all athletes, over the years, has been a major influence in many of these young people lives.  He has been the doctor, father, teacher, and best friend to me-for all of these years!! He will be greatly missed.”  He is survived by his wife Ruth Anne, four children, and four grandchildren.

Brian Aaron Keicher

Brian Keicher, ATC, Head Athletic Trainer at Greenville High School (GHS) passed on April 7, 1997 in Greenville, Tennessee.  Brian served GHS, his alma mater, in many different capacities since graduating in 1976.  While pursuing a degree from East Tennessee State University (ETSU), Brian volunteered as an athletic trainer for GHS.  Upon graduation from ETSU, Brian spent one year in South Carolina before returning to GHS in 1982 to work part-time as the Head Athletic Trainer at GHS.  Upon his certification in 1993, Brian became one of the few full-time certified athletic trainers on the high school level in Tennessee.  He served as a volunteer athletic trainer for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, and served as a venue athletic trainer for Field Hockey.  Brian was a member of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association, Southeast Athletic Trainers’ Association, Tennessee Athletic Trainer’s Society, and the Mountain Empire Sports Medicine Society.  He was a guiding force in developing the Greene County Sports Medicine Outreach Program that was developed to provide sports medicine coverage for High Schools in the Greene County area.  Brian will be most remembered for his passion for the field of athletic training and his dedication to preparing future athletic trainers.  Since his hiring at GHS, Brian sent out many well-prepared student athletic trainers to colleges all over the Southeast.


Dr. Pinky Lipscomb
The sports medicine community of Middle Tennessee and surrounding areas lost a true and valued friend when Dr. Lipscomb passed away on April 7, 1996. Dr. Lipscomb was recognized as a pioneer in the field of sports medicine having begun his career in 1948.  It was then he was asked if he would like to be the team physician at Vanderbilt University, a position he accepted and held until 1990.During those 42 years, his devotion to caring for athletes from all levels of competition was unequaled.  He was continually pursuing the latest knowledge and techniques that would allow him to continue as a leader in sports medicine.

Dr. Lipscomb was an outstanding basketball and baseball player while a student at Vanderbilt.  His competitiveness there carried into his medical practice.  While at times seeming somewhat gruff and demanding, he really only wanted each and every one of those athletes to be a winner; whether winning over adversity as a result of an injury or winning on the playing field.

Perhaps more than anything else, we would remember him for his friendship, appreciation and understanding of the athletic trainer.  I was fortunate to work with him for over 20 years.  During that time he never said no when I needed him.  Other members of the training profession would say the same thing.  He truly appreciated the role, the education and the abilities of the athletic trainer.  When it came to managing an injured athlete Dr. Lipscomb had treated, he had complete faith in the athletic trainer.  We have lost a true friend and I, for one, shall miss him very much.



Don “Doc” “Rooster” Fauls
Don Fauls, ATC, affectionately called “Doc” or “Rooster,” died in his sleep on November 9, 1995 at 75 years old.  He was in Raleigh, North Carolina, where he was planning to visit with members of the 1950 Florida State Seminole football team. Don, an Ithaca, New York, native, left his position in 1954 as an athletic trainer with the St. Louis Cardinals Association to become the head athletic trainer at Florida State University.  He retired from this position in 1986. Don was considered a legendary figure in the athletic training profession.  He shared his knowledge and skill, not only with those in the profession, but he also made his expertise available to the entire community where he lived.  Don was inducted into the National Athletic Trainers’ Hall of Fame in 1981.

Don is described as being one of the central forces in the athletic program at Florida State.  He was responsible for developing an outstanding athletic training program.  On October 6, 1995, just one month before Don’s death, the athletic training room at Florida State was named “The Don Fauls Training Room.”  A bronze plaque at the entrance to the athletic training room has the following inscription:  Don Fauls has been a doctor, parent, friend and confidant to thousands of Florida State athletes for over 27 years of service in athletics.  Seminoles everywhere join to honor this special man in the naming of this (athletic) training area that provided the opportunity to help so many athletes in so many ways.  Let all who enter these doors emulate the same honesty, loyalty and integrity of this outstanding individual.

Marge Fauls passed away in June 1995, just five months before Don.  He is survived by a son, Danny, two daughters, Donna and Jackie, four sisters, Mary, Betty, Jean and Rosalie and two grandchildren.


Melanie Smith, ATC
Melanie Smith, an athletic trainer at DCH Sports Medicine in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, passed away tragically in an automobile accident on November 15, 1992.  She was 28. Melanie graduated from the University of Alabama in May, 1988 where she received a bachelor’s degree in biology.  She was also licensed by the Alabama State Board of Health in February, 1991 as an EMT-Basic.  She was employed by DCH Sports Medicine since 1988 and gave her knowledge, skills, and dedication it Brookwood High School.

Although her death was a great tragedy, mourned not only by family and friends, but also colleagues, coaches, and athletes throughout the West Alabama area, she left an indelible impression on those people she touched, particularly those student athletes for whom she so unselfishly cared for. Melanie will be missed by her family, friends, fellow athletic trainers in Alabama, and the students, athletes, staff, and coaches at Brookwood High School.  However, the memory of her love and dedication to the profession of athletic training will long remain. Melanie is survived by her parents Jimmie and Earl Smith and brothers Bill and Russ.


Charles Martin
Charles Martin, 54, Northeast Louisiana University’s athletic trainer for 24 years, died July 21 after being hospitalized following a stroke.

Charlie was highly respected for his research on heat problems.  He lectured extensively on heat problems and other aspects of athletic training in the United States, along with lectures in Taiwan, The Netherlands and Belgium. The Louisiana Athletic Trainers Association named him to its Hall of Fame in 1984.  In 1987 he was awarded his 25-year from the NATA, Inc. We are all very saddened by Charlie’s death and he will be missed by the many athletic trainers who had the privilege to have worked with him and learned under him. We wish the best for his wife, Jean, and son, Mike, and are very thankful for the opportunity to have known Charlie Martin.


Wes “Doc” Knight
Wesley I. “Doc” Knight, 74, who had served as athletic trainer at the University of Mississippi for almost 28 years before his retirement in 1975, passed away April 7th at Baptist Memorial Hospital East in Memphis following a short illness.

“It’s hard to express the loss we all feel from Doc’s death,” said Ole Miss Athletic Director Warner Alford.  “I don’t think there’s one person at Ole Miss who touched more lives and had more to do with our success than Doc.  Everyone who came in contact with him loved him and appreciated him.  I will miss his daily visits and warm smile.”

As the father confessor as well as trainer for 28 Rebel football teams, Knight’s quiet, behind-the-scene handling of perhaps 1500 Ole Miss athletes made him one of the most loved athletic officials every at the University of Mississippi.

Following one national football championship, six Southeastern Conference titles, numerous championships in baseball and a large collection of individual honors, Knight retired Jan. 31, 1975, and was honored later that spring at the annual Red and Blue spring football game.

During his tenure at Ole Miss, Doc served as president of the Southeastern Athletic Trainers Association in 1962-63.  He received another high honor in 1969 when he was inducted into the Helms Athletic Foundation Trainers Hall of Fame.  He was a former member of the Board of Directors of the National Trainers Association and a charter member of that association.

Knight served as trainer and physiotherapist, an instructor in physical education and assistant track coach at several institutions before joining Ole Miss.  He was associated with the Hill School, Pottstown, Pa., in 1935-37; Rensselaer Tech in 1938-45; and Williams College, Williamstown, Mass., in 1946.  In addition, he was track coach and assistant director of physical education in the Naval V-5 program at Rensselaer Tech in 1943-44, and later for the Naval Prep Program there. While serving as the Rebel track coach, Knight produced several unbeaten teams starting in 1948.  His Ole Miss track squads produced many Rebel track records.

Since his retirement, Knight had held the title of trainer emeritus at Ole Miss.  He had been active in the coaching ranks for the Special Olympics in the Oxford area and had been involved in the Hershey’s National Track and Field Youth program. A native of Providence, R.I., he is survived by his wife, the former Marion Kupp of Pottstown, Pa., and five children. Those of us who knew Doc or worked with him know of his caring for the athletes that he loved.  We are glad to know that we were able to have had him at the 1982 Summer meeting so that he could share his attitude with us.  He was a man dedicated to his profession, the profession of helping others.  Doc will be missed but his memory will give us something to build upon.

Greathouse, Barron
Perry, McCall
Baggett, Hughston
Neathery, Fletcher
Broussard, Bryan
McMichael, Cooper
Keicher, Lipscomb
Melanie Smith, Martin
bottom of page